Saturday, 26 October 2013

Stonehenge Handed Over


The Times, October 28, 1918

STONEHENGE HANDED OVER.

SIR A MOND ON FURTHER EXCAVATIONS.
On Salisbury P1an on Saturday afternoon Stone henge was formally banded over to the nation by Mr. Chubb, of Bemerton Lodge, Salisbury, and accepted on behalf of the Government by Sir Alfred Moud. In receiving the deed of gift, the First Commissioner of Works said the step that Mr. Chubb had so generously and patriotically taken had aroused the deepest feeling of gratitude throughout the country. The Prime Minister had expressed his personal appreciation of Mr. Chubb’s action. Not only had Stonehenge itself now become the property of the nation, but 30 acres of surrounding ground accompanied the gift. He hoped that steps would be taken to improve the surroundings of Stonehenge. There had been much criticism of the fencing, but it would be impossible to leave the monument entirely unguarded. It was proposed, by means of a sunken fence to afford the necessary protection without offending the eye. He, also hoped that it would be possible to extend the important excava tions which had already been made on the site. There were in the local museum some of the stone implements with which the huge stones of the temple of Stonehenge were dressed and trimmed. It, was hoped that, under supervision, discoveries would be made on the site which would throw further light on the history of the monument. “This ceremony takes place,” be concluded. “at a time which is perhaps a turning point In the history of our country. After four years of anxiety, toil and peril we see at last the sun of victory shining over the horizon. It is a good augury. Our ancestors hero worshipped the sun when it rose. We to-day can turn our eyes towards the sun of victory won so gallantly by the men who have gone out and fought and died for us.”

No comments:

Post a comment